Saturday, March 27, 2010

here chick chick


We've started another batch of incubated eggs. One dozen. From previous experience I've realized that a dozen eggs could potentially make twelve chicks, but it is DECIDEDLY unlikely.
In the past, our incubator has only produced a very small flock of birds that have lived beyond their first breaths and an even smaller percentage that have remained with us here on the "Chandler Chicken Farm". Many began to 'cock-a-doodle' rather than 'cluck'. (In fact, out of 13 chicks that we have either hatched out or bought as day-olds, 9 have been roosters!!!!! My math isn't great but that does not seem to be 50/50....) The poor little chicks/ducklings that have not made it after their daylong struggle to free themselves from the confines of their little eggs, have suffered between the overly eager jaws of Fuckles Freckles in a scene that is what I would imagine could be witnessed in a poultry horror movie.
This time, we're hoping to hatch out some Barred Plymouth Rock Bantams like our dearly departed Sarah.
My obsession with all things poultry and my absolute inability to maintain any amount of willpower make it close to impossible to stop myself from candling the eggs even now - five days after the eggs have been placed into the 'bator. The kids and I become obsessed with catching glimpses of our little chicks through the egg with a bright light, but each time the eggs are removed from the incubator, it lessens the likelihood of a great hatch.
So today, Liv and I found a fabulous site that gives us a look into what should be going on in our little eggs. Right now, our babies look like this:
And even though only five days have gone by, the chicks have been hard at work growing a nervous system, a tongue, sex organs, etc. In only sixteen days, we will HOPEFULLY have a few little fluff balls to check out and marvel at the amazing work that Mother Nature is capable of doing! Follow along! We'll let you know if Fuckles another avian massacre....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Given my own desire to disturb the soil where I plant seeds to see how they're doing, I can see why you'd want to check in on the chicks. I hope that you have lots of girls this time, to even out your total tally.