Tuesday, December 23, 2008

the longest night

We've been introduced to what it must be like in many other parts of North America at this time of year. In fact, it looks as if the whole of Canada will have a 'White Christmas' this year for the first time since 1971! Meaning it will be MY first white Christmas as well as the kids!

It is truly, stunningly beautiful to look at....but I am getting a bit tired of the shovelling, frozen hoses, and slippery walkways. We are expecting another 10-20 cm tonight.....I guess we'll just hunker down again, turn on the Christmas tunes and snuggle. However, Winter Solstice was a magical day for us. We made a cake that was complete with a snow scene of our family (Liv, Briar, Me, Jeff with a toothpick beard, Robo, Freckles, Moe, a turkey, and two chickens...we got a bit tired of making chickens....) made out of marshmallows.

We went for a walk in our snow covered neighbourhood. It's interesting to see how the local wildlife are dealing with the cold. I can now identify with the song that goes, "It's a marshmallow world in the Winter..." It truly looks like someone had a candy making accident. We finished off the day with a candlelit dinner of chili and cake and then off to bed to read their solstice gift of a book called 'Jack Frost'.

I am finding that having a long haired dog in the snow is a bit of a hassle. He's grown 'balls'...and not the kind that were removed to inhibit his ability to produce puppies. He creates a puddle wherever he goes!

5 comments:

hippymummy said...

Wishing you and all you hold dear a very happy, peaceful, healthy xmas and a new year full of love, hope and contentment,
Brightest Blessings,
Sarah & kids xXx

Anonymous said...

Hello Jackie,

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your friend Ellen. I'm thinking of you this Christmas season, your first without Jeff. May you find comfort when you need it.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I am so sorry to hear of yet another loss for you. As with Jeff, try to concentrate on the happy times you two had together. I wish I were there to comfort you but know I am just a phone call away.
Love Rita

Hallie said...

We have been traveling from Texas to Montana and I've been praying for a white Christmas for weeks...my mother in law says all this snow is all my fault! lol Sorry it's making things hard for everyone else but I am enjoying every snowflake! :) I've always seen the snow as a chance to slow down, reflect and enjoy a renewed world around me...I hope you guys are warm and snuggly!

Candice said...

Oh, that pic of Freckles is too funny!! Made me giggle...and made me quite thankful that Chase has very little fur at all. ;o)

I loved the cake--and especially that you included Jeff and with a marshmallow beard.

I'm right there with you, being tired of the snow. I thought it was fun, great, etc. for a while, but enough is enough. I didn't choose to live in Minnesota, Manitoba, or someplace where this could count as normal. It sounds like we're getting the similar storm fronts here in Portland, Ore. as there in BC. I've gotten quite speedy at getting snow boots on the two of us too. It's **finally** melting here the last day or two...and I hope it's doing the same for you (assuming you're ready to have it totally gone =)).

Great way to occupy your time...you were far more industrious and productive than I was! All I did was post on my blog a lot. ;o)

Hugs,
Candice