I went for a LOVELY Spring-like walk today with our friends, Krista and Michele while Liv was at farmhands. I so enjoyed our walk and our talk. It is fabulous to be able to talk to these other homeschool mommies (and our littler ones) about our successes and failures with lots of laughter along the way. I really relish these times and thoroughly look forward to hanging out again.
When I got home from our walk, I noticed a clipping that I always have on the fridge and it made me think of our conversation:
10 Ways We Misunderstand Children
1. We expect children to be able to do things before they are ready.
2. We become angry when a child fails to meet our needs.
3. We mistrust the child's motives.
4. We don't allow children to be children.
5. We get it backwards (instead of accepting our parental role to meet the child's needs, we expect the child to care for our needs.)
6. We blame and criticize when a child makes a mistake.
7. We forget how deeply blame and criticism can hurt a child.
8. We forget how healing loving actions can be.
9. We forget that our behaviour provides the most potent lessons to the child.
10. We see only the outward behaviour, not the love and good intentions inside the child.
(From the Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart by Jan Hunt)
There is not much giggling in this clipping but the feelings were the same, I think.
I love how human and flawed we can be together. I cherish the insights and forgotten comforts that other mommies have to share with eachother. And even though in 'blog-land', we can all pick and choose what the world sees through our 'open curtains' (thanks Michele!) we ALL have moments that we wouldn't want to be recorded.
The point was made that although we try our best to make our children's childhoods the BEST that they can be, we also must parent in the way that gives us joy as well. I had never thought of that and it warms me inside that my children and I can enjoy this journey of learning together.
Anyhow, I am not sure if this sounds like one cohesive post or like a bit of aimless rambling, but it's what I thought about today and wanted to share.... :)
P.S. I just listed these little bunnies on Etsy ! I am hoping to get a few more things on there in the next little bit...