Friday, June 20, 2008

crawling my mile

You know the saying about 'walking a mile in someone else's shoes'? I am realizing that although I thought understood other people's difficulties and pain, I didn't. I was quick to judge in some instances. I had empathy. I felt badly for them. But I didn't understand. Now, although I do not partake in destructive behaviour that some pained people use, I can comprehend how they got to that place. I can understand their compulsion to bury the agony even for a few minutes. I think it's so important to 'soldier on' without these vices and crutches. I think you need to feel it in an attempt to move along this unwanted journey in the hopes of one day feeling partially whole again....but I can understand and will no longer judge other's survival methods.

No comments: