Tuesday, April 01, 2008

your hands


One of the things I will miss the most about you is your hands. I used to tell you that if elephants had hands, they would have hands like yours. They were so large, warm and capable.
You could deftly mend a net, build a toy of wood, and seemingly move mountains with your strong hands. And then you could cradle a baby so gently, hold me so softly and comfort me so sweetly with those same hands.
I know every callous, every crookedly mended bone, every hang-nail and every hair. I held your hands so long that mine now feel so empty. Whose hands will I hold now? Who will show me reassurance and comfort just with the touch of a hand?
You have my initials tattooed on your ring finger because you couldn't wear your wedding ring while at work. I think I was more touched by the permanence of this than by our own wedding.
I know have your wedding ring on a necklace around my neck. My own wedding ring that I have never removed since you put it on is a size 6 1/2. Your size 15 ring is a comforting weight around my neck.
I miss your hands. I miss you.
Thank you so much for all the words of support and comfort from you all. I do read them and would so love to reply but I just can't right now. You have all touched me so deeply and I can't express how comforting to know that there are people thinking of me and my little family. Thank you.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am listening.

Anonymous said...

That was amazing and touching-
Thinking of you-

Anonymous said...

You are an amazingly strong person, that was so beautiful.

Rachael said...

So beautiful...

World Wide Alternative said...

Xxx

the puRple gRasshoppeR said...

oh Jackie..

Mama D said...

Came her via Lynanne. I am so sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the depth of your loss. I will say prayers for you and your family. Your words are incredibly beautiful and moving, and I can tell that you are strong.

waldorfmama said...

you don't know me, but i've visited your blog many times. i am in shock with the news, as everyone is. what a profound loss. please know you are in my thoughts and prayers...

Yarrow said...

How beautiful. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

jackie - that is beautiful. thinking of you.

Sofinee Harun said...

I had tears reading your entry...wish I can give you hug...

The memory will hold you strong in deed..my dear.

Tall Tree Photography said...

I am a reader of your blog, but don't know you. My eyes are filled with tears. Please know that I am holding you and your family in my heart and surrounding you in shining light. Peace.

Aunt Becky said...

Oh sweetie, just popped by from The Road Less Traveled, and I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved husband. So very sorry.

© Shalom Schultz said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, still I can't help but think that you are starting the healing process by being so open about your feelings. My prayers are with you. It takes a strong woman to share something so personal with the whole world, and so I am sure in the end, you will be just fine. Your husband was a lucky man.

3crows said...

oh sweetheart, i just found out through etsy, I am so sorry. stay strong, try not to be scared ok?